Brainy Quote

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Remove the Clutter n Save Money!

Dear Friends,

I recently sold off my house and I had about one month plus to vacate the whole house. I did not realize how much of clutter I had in my house. I am a hoarder by nature as well as a sentimental guy. I had kept Birthday cards given by friends, I kept souvenirs I bought from my trips, and also tried to have a collection of toys which I thought might become a collectors item. I even kept almost all my essays which I wrote in University as well as my text books. Plus, I liked the idea of having library in my house. But I had no quality control. I kept the books that were outdated. And I bought numerous booked which I bought but never read and some even unwrapped. What a utter waste of money. There were clothes that I bought which were never used or used only a few times. Of course I had my favorites which I have kept for more than 15 years like the t-shirt from Hawaii and I kept using them over and over again. 

My wife and I were frustrated at the amount of things we had to throw away. Actually, it was more me than my wife who was sad for having to throw away the things even though I may never ever use them..  We realized how much money we could have saved if we had reduced the clutter by not buying more things until you need it.By not buying things unless you need them, you can see what you have without having to keep buying more of the same stuff like books and clothes. I had two copies of Robert Kiyosaki's "Retire Young, Retire Rich" worth a total of S$40. Guess who got Richer?

If you have not used something more than 6 months, most likely you may not have any use for it. Throw it away or if it can be used by someone else, recycle it by passing it on to others or giving it away to Salvation Army. If you have babies clothes then pass it to friends who have new babies. Babies clothes are expensive to buy and you can save a ton of money by using "used" clothes some of which may be new. Babies need bigger sized clothes every 3 to six months. Do not waste money new and expensive clothes.Give away books to those who like to read books.There are many organizations like Churches and World Vision who collect books and toys to be sent overseas for orphanages. Try to do a monthly, quarterly or 6 monthly "Spring Cleaning" so that you can get rid of unwanted things on a regular basis rather than doing it like when you are moving house.

Remove Clutter! Recycle usable things! Buy only what you need and save money! You will probably be able to pay for a holiday somewhere. :-)


Cheers,
Mark





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark, have you already sold Robert Kiyosaki's book? I wouldn't mind buying it if you still have it with you.
Will email you if you do
Thanks